Thursday, June 10, 2010

Trilogy Week Part 3

Hey everybody, and welcome to the conclusion of Trilogy Week.  Today I'm going to reveal my all-time most marathonable trilogy.  Before I do I'll quickly recap the week:
I'm counting down the top 5 most marathonable trilogies.  Not necessarily best, but most marathonable.  That is, the best to watch back-to-back-to-back.  Before you ask, I'll just tell you that yes, I have marathoned all five of these trilogies.  So far we have:

5. The Lord of the Rings
4. The Ocean's trilogy
3. Indiana Jones
2. Star Wars

And here it is, the one you've all been waiting for...

The Jason Bourne Trilogy

Consisting of The Bourne Identity, (directed by Doug Liman,) The Bourne Supremacy, (Paul Greengrass,) and The Bourne Ultimatum, (also Paul Greengrass,) the Bourne trilogy follows the adventures of the elite spy Jason Bourne as he travels across the globe in search of clues to his troubling and mysterious past.

So what makes it so marathonable?  First of all, all three movies are independently awesome.  They all have intensity and action to spare, and the stories and dialog are impressive.  The cast, led by Matt Damon, but also featuring many other great actors such as Chris Cooper, Clive Owen, Brian Cox, Julia Stiles, Joan Allen, David Strathairn and more, all turn in great performances.  The soundtracks are also excellent.

But three great movies does not a marathonable trilogy make.  They have to have a connection to each other.  And that's where the Bourne trilogy excels.  There are tons of tiny visuals and throwaway lines that link the movies to each other.  Also, their timeline overlaps, making watching them in sequence very easy while keeping all of the plots understandable.

These three movies function as a trilogy better than any other three on the list, with the possible exception of Lord of the Rings.  But the Bourne trilogy moves along at a much more brisk pace, making it significantly easier to marathon, and also making it a more engaging experience.  There is zero dead time in all three films.  If you leave the room even for a second, you'll probably miss something important.

So there you have it, my top five.  Feel free to sound off in the comments section.  I'd love to hear what your top five are, and why.  That's all for trilogy week folks.  I sure hope you liked it.

Until next time,
-Harry

P.S.  There are two honorable mentions for this list.  The Godfather trilogy, omitted because of its length and lack of a quality third film, and the Beverly Hills Cop trilogy, omitted because it's just too damn silly.

10 comments:

  1. I LOTR like it's my job! Seriously though, I've done more LOTR marathons than I should probably admit but it's just so good. My favorite is the two towers. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT IDEA FOR A BLOG POST

    I was thinking that I wished toy story 3 was out so that I could have my own movie marathon (at times my movie taste resembles that of an 8 year old)

    could you have a pixar week?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your honorable mentions are dead on. Love the fact that you marathon movies, like myself. Have you watched the Vengeance trilogy (Sympathy for Mr. Vengeance, Oldboy, and Sympathy for Lady Vengeance)? All three movies are directed by South Korean director Park Chan-wook. The only downfall to them is that they aren't exactly tied into each other with plot and characters, but rather the theme (Vengeance) plays into all of them. I haven't seen the 1st or 3rd installment but I REALLY recommend Oldboy. I haven't met anyone who has seen that movie, that didn't like it. The ending will blow your mind and take you by surprise, so please, if you get a chance, check that movie out, and if u have netflix, don't watch it instantly because it's dubbed in English and it's highly annoying. Reading subtitles can be annoying, but with this film, it's worth it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harry,

    Good call! The Bourne Trilogy is incredible and, unlike many mediocre trilogies, doesn't lag in the second and third installments.

    Also, your honorable mentions are right on. The Godfather Trilogy makes my top five, mainly because i think godfather II is the greatest american movie ever made. also, beverly hills cop has a special place in my heart because of its kick-ass soundtrack (possibly the greatest theme song of any trilogy?), non-stop humor, and judge reinhold (spelling?).

    i want to add two more to the honorable mentions list:
    - the matrix trilogy
    - the man with no name trilogy (the good, the bad and the ugly; for a few dollars more; a fistful of dollars)


    do you like those? if so, why didn't they make the cut? if not, what's not to like??!

    excited to hear more from you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i just thought of two more: Austin Powers and Die Hard.

    Any chance they'll crack the top 5 soon? top 10?

    ReplyDelete
  6. "But three great movies does not a marathonable trilogy make."

    Dude, DIG the Yoda reference! I can understand not putting the Star Wars trilogy first (much as it pains me to say it)... The movies can be a little campy, especially when watched all three in a row. Han's the man, but after you see him so on his game in V its tough to see him get the "I love you / I know" treatment from Leia in VI. Good calls all around.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Harry--You have inspired me to host a movie marathon. In your top 5 trilogies, I have only seen the Ocean's trilogy and, of course, 1 Star Wars movie. I think my next step is Borne!

    PS. I also love your video comments. Very efficient and entertaining.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think you forgot about the three ninjas trilogy. I mean, any movie with Hulk Hogan making an appearance in the last gasp of the series deserves a round of applause. Kidding, kinda, but not really. Totally agree with your picks.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Harry,

    Just caught on to your blog, looks like I've been missing out. I haven't gotten to argue with you about movies in forever!

    Great picks on the trilogies. I'm proud (ashamed?) to admit that I've done all of these except for Ocean's. I like Star Wars the best, but for those that aren't as obsessed as I am, Bourne is probably the right pick. LOTR is definitely better than Viggo's other... "work"... but I won't start that again.

    I agree with Gabe on the honorable mentions, The Man With No Name 'cause they're awesome and the Matrix 'cause I think they were good movies that couldn't live up to people's unrealistic expectations. Not top five worthy, but still underrated, in my mind. I'd be curious what you think.

    I'm basically sitting around doing nothing this summer except going through my Netflix queue, so I'm looking forward to this!

    Eric

    P.S. Excited for the Watchmen debate. Have you seen/read From Hell? (If not, don't bother with the movie and definitely find the graphic novel.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thought you might find this interesting: http://flowingdata.com/2010/06/28/do-movie-sequels-live-up-to-their-originals/

    ReplyDelete