Tuesday, June 8, 2010

Trilogy Week Part 2

Hey everybody, and welcome to part two of Trilogy Week.  If you haven't read the first post of the week, I'll give you the quick summary.  First of all, I'm not reviewing trilogies based strictly on quality.  I'm reviewing them based on their ability to be watched in a marathon.  I find that movie marathons are one of the most rewarding ways to spend an day/night, so that's what I'm going with.  I'm counting down the five most marathonable movie trilogies of all time.  The fifth was The Lord of the Rings and the fourth was the Ocean's trilogy.  So without further ado:

Marathonable Trilogy Number 3 - Indiana Jones

Yes, I know.  It's not a trilogy anymore.  I don't care, because I do not recognize the fourth one's place as a worthy member of this series.  So I'm calling it a trilogy, consisting of Raiders of the Lost Ark, Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom, and Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade, all three directed by Steven Spielberg.

This is a tricky one to marathon because of the timeline.  Temple of Doom, the second one released, actually takes place before Raiders of the Lost Ark.  So there are two ways to marathon this trilogy.  I would recommend going in the order of release.

The Indiana Jones Trilogy is a classic example of quality action filmmaking.  There's humor, the plot never stands still, it's got a little bit of romance, and more than enough fight and chase scenes.  Harrison Ford seems like he was born to play the role of Indy.  My only knock against it is that there are too many snakes.  I, like the title character, hate snakes.

The trilogy is good to marathon because all three films are equally engaging.  Even though they follow different storylines and have different auxiliary characters, Harrison Ford holds everything together with style.  I'm also a huge fan of Sean Connery as Ford's father in The Last Crusade.  Each film holds up as an individual and as part of a trilogy.  This makes for a very enjoyable marathon experience.  But Harrison Ford isn't finished, because he will also appear in...

Marathonable Trilogy Number 2 - Star Wars (Original Trilogy)

Star Wars, The Empire Strikes Back, and Return of the Jedi comprise one of the most iconic pieces of American cinema ever.  Star Wars was directed by George Lucas, (producer of Indiana Jones,) The Empire Strikes back by Irvin Kershner, and Return of the Jedi by Richard Marquand.  But the entire series was the brainchild of George Lucas.

The trilogy tells a classic tale of good versus evil, set a long time ago in a galaxy far, far away.  While it's not necessarily believable that it took place long ago given all of the futuristic technology, the far, far away part sure is.  One of the series' strong points is its incredible makeup, costume, and animations for its alien creatures.

The story is simple and easy to follow.  There are clear good guys and bad guys, and you immediately know which is which.  There's not too many characters to follow, and they more or less follow the same path, so you never really have to worry about juggling to many plotlines at once.

The acting is pretty good, with the cast being led by a young Harrison Ford, who, as previously stated, is the man.  The voice of James Earl Jones is not bad either.

If you have not seen Star Wars, I cannot recommend it highly enough.  Just for the sake of your own cultural knowledge, I think you owe it to yourself to see at least the first one, if not the whole trilogy.  There are so many classic lines, characters, and locations to see and hear.  (My favorite:  "It's a trap!" -Admiral Ackbar)  If you have seen it, it is still always worth watching again.  I have yet to met a person who did not enjoy the original trilogy, and marathoning it just adds to the experience.

I guess that's all for now.  Tune in on Friday when I reveal the All-Time Most Marathonable Trilogy!  Until next time, let the wookie win.
-Harry

7 comments:

  1. I tried to marathon the original Star Wars movies in the theater when they were re-released, but Howard Stern's movie bumped RotJ by a week, and then ANH was no longer in theaters :-(

    I'm pretty well sold on your choices for 5, 4, 3 and 2, but I can't think of what I'd pick as number one given what you've already covered. Looking forward to the next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. awesome posts, keep them coming!

    ReplyDelete
  3. good to read intelligent, thought provoking reviews

    ReplyDelete
  4. Harry, great posts and keep up the good work. I enjoyed your youtube video also.
    I am one of those literary types who, although I do enjoy a good action or disaster movie every now and then, just never quite understood the appeal of the fantasy/science fiction genre, into which I would place Star Wars. However, in what can only be an example of "opposites attract," I married someone who is a major devotee of the weird-things-in-outer-space genre. All this by way of saying I have never seen Star Wars, have never wanted to see Star Wars, and have been unmercifully hounded by my wife these last 10 years to just chill with her on a Friday night and watch Star Wars. Well, Harry, it has taken your exhortations to get me there. So, my pledge to you and to Helen - I will (very soon!) watch Star Wars. Thank you for saving this marriage.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I spent all my meager allowance to see Raiders of the Lost Ark over and over again when it first came out. I find Kate Capeshaw's character in the second movie a bit squeaky and whiny (I prefer strong, independent women as a foil for Indy.) But all was redeemed with the fabulous third movie. You're right; Sean Connery was excellent as Dr. Jones, Senior.

    I'm intrigued by what you might consider the best. I have some thoughts. Would it spoil it to guess here?

    ReplyDelete
  6. So far I agree with your assessment. I'm sure you'd expect me to argue that LOTR should be higher up, but after actually marathoning not only the regular LOTR but the extended edition, I can attest to its toll on the body and mind.

    I have my idea for what you are going to say for number one, not only because I would agree that it should be in the top 5, but also because I would agree that it should be the top for marathonable trilogies. I'll let you know if we agree on Friday.

    You speak of the chronology of Indiana Jones. I would love to hear your opinions on how to present the Star Wars series to someone who has seen none of them. Assuming you feel that someone should watch episodes 1-3.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Harry,
    Your picks for 5-2 are phenomenal! Without question, four of the greatest trilogies ever. And I totally agree that the fourth Indiana Jones movie should not be counted as part of the series.

    It seems from your video mailbag and from your ranking star wars at #2 that you love star wars. i would love to see a list of your favorite star wars quotes/moments/characters at some point.

    Can't wait to see what the #1 trilogy of all time is!!! For what it's worth, my favorite trilogy is Beverly Hills Cop. Eddie Murphy rules!

    ReplyDelete