Friday, August 27, 2010

Video Game Trailers Part 5

Well, here it is folks.  The two greatest video game trailers of all time.  Picking the number one was easy, but deciding on the number two was hard.  But here’s what I came up with.  I hope you have enjoyed the week.

Number 2:
Crysis 2
The Wall Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=34QMA2ykfCc
This trailer is terrifying, and not in the sense that zombies with chainsaws are popping out from every dark corner.  Instead, it shows a post-apocalyptic New York that is so realistic that if I didn’t know better, I’d say it was real footage.  Also, the Polly Scattergood cover of New York, New York is mind-boggling.  This is a perfect trailer.

Number 1:
Halo 3
Landfall Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BxdvGO1oOF0
This is not a trailer.  It is a movie that happens to be about a game.  Neill Blomkamp (District 9) directs this trailer, which should give you an indication of the production quality and style.  If you’ve seen District 9, then you know how realistic he can make aliens look.  And they are so realistic here that it’s scary.  This is really a seven minute short that takes characters and locations from the Halo series, and uses them to create one hell of an action sequence.

Well, there you have it.  That’s my top ten.  Feel free to sound off and let me know what you think I should have added, or what order you would have put them in.  And thanks for reading.

Until next time,
Harry

1 comment:

  1. I dunno, man. I feel like just about every trailer or cut-scene ever made by Blizzard is better than just about every one made by somebody else. Remember this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5E4c9sP7t8A
    Or this? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ubD5wkCG07g
    Obviously not as stunning graphics back then, but as far as raw emotion goes, and being invested in the characters you've only known for a minute and a half, I think they've known how to do it for years. The Chrysis 2 trailer might be able to compare.

    Oh, and I don't know if you've gotten a chance to play Starcraft II yet, but that ACTUALLY plays like a movie. A damn good one. If you haven't yet, you'll love it.

    Eric

    ReplyDelete