Wednesday, August 11, 2010

At Long Last...

So as you all know, I watch a lot of movies.  What you may not know is that I rarely see movies in theaters.  This summer I have seen a grand total of one movie in theaters.  (It was Iron Man 2.)  Why is this?  Three reasons.  One: It’s expensive.  Two: There’s always someone in the theaters who talks, or has their phone ring, or otherwise ruins the experience.  And three, I am entirely convinced that there are very few movies that really warrant a big screen experience.  Why am I telling you this?  Because it’s time for Graphic Novels, that why!  I saw Sin City in theaters, Watchmen in IMAX, and V for Vendetta twice in IMAX.  As you can tell, I am of the opinion that graphic novel based movies are worthy of my cash and patience.

First, a quick disclaimer.  I don’t read many graphic novels.  I have read Watchmen, and I have read The Hard Goodbye.  (That’s the first of the Sin City books.)  I have not read V for Vendetta.  It’s on a long list of things that I need to read.  I have not read 300, The Dark Knight, or any other graphic novels, for that matter.

You’ll notice I have only talked about Frank Miller and Alan Moore graphic novels.  That’s because, by all accounts, those are the two greatest graphic novelists of all time.  That’s not my opinion.  It’s the general consensus of the population of the comic shop where I used to spend quite a bit of time.

Ok, let’s talk movies.  Starting with Sin City.

My first comment on Sin City is that Sean Penn is a bit of a dick.  “But wait!” you say.  I know, Sean Penn is not in Sin City.  He has nothing to do with Sin City.  So how is that comment at all relevant?  Because of Mickey Rourke.  Mickey Rourke is in Sin City.  He was also nominated for an Oscar for his performance in The Wrestler.  He lost to Sean Penn.  During Mr. Penn’s acceptance speech, he congratulated Mickey Rourke on his “return to the ring.”  But Mr. Penn failed to recognize that Mickey Rourke’s so-called return happened years ago, with his performance in Sin City.

My second comment on Sin City is that Robert Rodriguez is the most talented person in Hollywood today.  That’s right.  He directs.  He shoots.  He cuts.  Sometimes he writes scores.  Simply put, the man makes movies.  Whole movies.  Just like that.  Sometimes they’re bad.  (Spy Kids.)  Sometimes they’re awesome.  (Sin City, Desperado.)  Sometimes they’re in between.  (Once Upon A Time In Mexico.)  But he makes them, start to finish, like it’s no big deal.  Did I mention that on the special features of his DVD’s he gives cooking lessons?

My third comment on Sin City is that it is violent.  It’s so very violent.  I am not opposed to violence in movies.  I’m not a huge proponent of it either.  But I’ve seen all kinds of violence in all kinds of movies.  And I’m telling you now, you will never see violence like you will see in Sin City.

My fourth and final comment on Sin City is that it is incredible.  It is incredible because of the acting.  It is incredible because of the action.  It is incredible because of the dialogue. It’s incredible because of the colors (or lack thereof).  But most importantly, it’s incredible because it is three movies, each one simple, concise, and cohesive.  Most movies that attempt to juggle multiple storylines end up with too much complexity for their own good.  (Not all, just most.)  But not Sin City.  It’s storylines are clear, each one self-contained, each one taking up the same time and star power, and each one equally well-written and directed.  This adds up to one great movie.  Simple, action-packed, well acted, and just plain awesome.

This concludes Part 1 of my Graphic Novel Extravaganza.

Until next time,
Harry

1 comment:

  1. Can't wait for the next installment. I, too, am a huge Robert Rodriguez fan. I love what you said about him in this post.

    ReplyDelete