Sunday, September 5, 2010

Sunday Update 9/5/10

Hey everybody.  The other day, as I was wandering through the vast reaches of the internet, looking at upcoming movie trailers, I saw one that grabbed my attention.  The movie is called Unstoppable, and you can check out the trailer here:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JM-0Ywc7wNY

In addition to being an awesome trailer, it will also be the fifth collaboration between director Tony Scott and actor Denzel Washington.  Which brings me to this week’s topic:  What/who are the greatest director/actor pairings of all time?  I will be looking at my top five, in no particular order.

Disclaimer:  I have not seen every movie that I will be mentioning this week.  I will only be talking in detail about the ones that I have seen. (Duh.)  This is not meant to be a review of every single movie that the collaborators have done.  This is a commentary on why they make a good team.

My criteria for the duo’s are simple.  The director must have directed the actor at least three times, and not in a series.  Each movie must be a separate work.

I’ll tell you which ones I’m doing in advance this time, because it’s not a countdown.  It’s just a list.  So here are my top five:

-Tony Scott/Denzel Washington
-Steven Spielberg/Tom Hanks
-Martin Scorsese/Leonardo DiCaprio
-David Fincher/Brad Pitt
-Guy Ritchie/Jason Statham

I’ll be going into each one in more detail throughout the week.  Stay tuned!

Until next time,
Harry

P.S.  Feel free to sound off about your favorite collaborations.

1 comment: