Thursday, September 9, 2010

Collaboration Week Part 4

Hi there everyone, and welcome back to director/actor collaboration week.  If this is your first time tuning in, I’ll fill you in on what’s been going on.  This week I am exploring my favorite director/actor combos.  They have to have made three films together, not in a series, to be eligible.  Today, I’m going to look at the dynamic duo of David Fincher and Brad Pitt.

Admittedly, Fincher’s first film sucked.  (Alien 3.)  Since then, I would say that he has not made a single bad film.  Not one.  And his three collaborations with Brad Pitt are off the charts in terms of quality.  Those films are Se7en, Fight Club, and The Curious Case of Benjamin Button, which I have not seen in its entirety, but have seen enough of to comment on.

Brad Pitt, like Fincher, is as consistent as they come.  I can’t recall the last time I saw I movie with Pitt in it and said to myself, “He wasn’t very good in that film.”  In fact, I don’t think that has ever occurred.  But when he works with David Fincher, I always say to myself, “Wow, he was incredible in that film.”

For years, Fight Club was my number one favorite movie.  (It’s still in my top five.)  While Edward Norton was a significant contributor to that fact, there is no question that Pitt’s performance was outstanding.  And Fincher manages to bring the whole movie together in a way that is wonderful from start to finish.

Each of the two are very accomplished artists without the other, but it always seems that when they work together, they bring out the very best from each other.  I believe that Brad Pitt has never given a better performance than his role in Se7en, and David Fincher has never concocted a more brilliant film than Fight Club.  These two, when paired, put together some of the finest movies I have ever seen.  And that’s the bottom line.

Until next time,
Harry

No comments:

Post a Comment