Monday, December 6, 2010

The Vlog Continues, Plus the Re-Review

Hey everybody,
Just wanted to let you know that if you want to catch all of the excitement of my video blog, head on over to my youtube channel located at http://www.youtube.com/user/slingerbaba.

And as promised, here's my re-review of Avatar.

It is hard to fill a cup that is already full.  These are the words that Jake Sully hears upon entering the Omaticaya village.  And usually, it applies to me.  You see, my cup is almost always full of opinions.  Strong opinions.  Opinions that will not waver or falter.  However, for my pre-New Year’s resolution, I have decided to empty the cup, and return with an open mind to things that I already have developed strong opinions on.

One of my very first posts was a comparison of Avatar and Star Trek.  If you’d like, here’s a link.  Here’s the recap: I’d rather watch Star Trek.

Anyway, for the first step in my resolution, I rewatched both movies.  Guess what.  I liked Avatar more.  And I know why.

Going into both movies, I tried to empty my mind of any prior knowledge of either movie.  I didn’t think about the monetary and critical successes of either movie, the Oscar nominations of Avatar, or the number of cult followers that had grown for Star Trek.  What was left was a pure cinematic experience, just me and the movie, the way it should be.

And you know what happened?  Two things.

First, I had more fun with both movies than I had before at any prior viewing.  “Wow,” I said to myself.  “Harry, this is the way to see movies.  Forget all of the news and hype surrounding the film.  Just watch it.”  So I made a promise to myself to at least try to view all movies this way.  I’m pretty sure it will be more rewarding, and while I still won’t like everything I see, my movie-watching experience will be far more unadulterated, for lack of a better word.

Second, I came to the realization that Avatar is one kick-ass action movie.  I mean seriously kick-ass.  But more importantly, I was able to look past to admittedly poor acting of Sam Worthington and appreciate the incredible supporting performances of Stephen Lang, Sigourney Weaver, and Giovany Ribisi.  Also, I took all of these things in without the help of IMAX 3D.  Which means that James Cameron put together a truly solid movie, and wasn’t purely relying on the shock and awe of special effects to win over the audience.

Don’t get me wrong.  Star Trek is also a kick-ass action movie.  But this most recent viewing made me realize that nothing, and I mean nothing, can truly hold a candle to the action and visual assault and Cameron delivers.

The take-home message for me is that I should not judge things based on my first reaction, let alone pre-formed opinions.  Taking the time to take in the whole experience really helped me to have a better appreciation for things that I just assumed were bad because they did not live up to the hype.  Watching with no expectations let me decide for myself whether or not I enjoyed the film.  And now I know that Avatar is nothing if not an enjoyable movie.

Until next time,
Harry

2 comments:

  1. "And now I know that Avatar is nothing if not an enjoyable movie."

    Well said! I loved both movies. But, if forced to judge using only the kick-ass standard, I believe Avatar comes out on top.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Glad you liked it more this time, Harry. Avatar is pretty badass. It blew me away. And the general is sucha dick that you have to be rooting for the beauty of organic weapons

    ReplyDelete